Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Family Media: Part ll

Comments on my last post by Darth Spencer and Rob were so good that I decided to respond in another post.

First, I feel I was kind of unfair towards the National Institute on Media and Family. They are working to help families avoid media pitfalls, and do a very thorough and useful job. I've used some of their tips, and I think Mary and our whole family have benefited. They condone family-media use on a basic level (http://www.mediafamily.org/facts/tips_tametube.shtml).
They are not anti-media - though they give that impression, as the picture below demonstrates.

Still, the Institute could do more in addressing the next step. That's my beef, and why I feel kind of critical when going through their site. After a family has media use under control in the home, then what? Are there good teaching techniques parents should try?

That said, Spence, I agree that video can do things (like demonstration) too well to be ignored. The Institute seems to define media primarily as video games, computer & internet, television, and music. I think they'd say that media/books like you describe are outside of the dangerous media boundary. It would be nice if they recommended things like that.

Rob, as I read your comments I recalled that the research I did this last semester were all on families in which there was a lot of parental involvement with children consuming media. I studied ideal examples of family media use. I agree that especially with children, human interaction is key to learning and benefiting from media like computer games and television.

I like the phrase "learning at an accellerated rate with media". It rings true that watching a movie or playing a game is kind of like a concentrated dose of something. The brain takes on so much so quickly, that parental briefing and debriefing with their kids about media might be important for learning.

So I am advocating family media use - given that it is under control in the home. I also wonder if family media use could help to control media in the home.

Media has such negative influence, as the Institute lays out, and thankfully fights. Media also has positive influence, and yet we don't hear much about that.

6 comments:

Spencer Davis said...

"Too Much Screen Time, Too Much Kid" Chris, this is a great ad. I laughed way hard at that fat kid.

You in no way acted unfair towards the National Institute. If they are attacking some of my best friends, TV and DVD Player, then they are public enemy #1 in my book. Mi parentz alwayz left mi in front of tv with a box of serial four hours att a time and i turnd out juzt fine.

Katie said...

Cblakes, you've raised a lot of interesting questions.

I think that technology can be a powerful learning tool. I think video clips and music interspersed into a teacher's lecture can make a big impact on learning.

I agree with Rob about the concern with TV becoming a "babysitting" tool. I think family involved media like you've discussed is a much better option.

As a dietitian, my biggest concern is the sedentary activity that is associated with long-term TV watching or computer usage. Childhood obesity rates are sky rocketing. This is due to food choices and largely to sedentary activity, whatever it may be. For many kids the only time they eat a meal not in front of the tv is while they are at school. Performing other activities while eating takes your mind off the eating and you often eat more.

I think there needs to be plenty of physical activity and then there would still be room for "extracurricular" technology as well. I think technology integrated in the classroom is a great idea.

cblakes said...

Spencer,

I'm speechless. LOL.

Katie,

I looked up some obesity stats, and read that the average 11-year old child in 1973 weighed 11 pounds less than in 2003. Wow.

With media like video and music in the classroom - I agree that using them sparingly, or carefully is the best way to go about it. Historically, educators and students have not benefitted from video in the classroom as much as was hoped (Cuban, 1986).

About the skyrocketing obesity and health concerns related to media, I won't disagree that a healthy balanced lifestyle leads to physical and mental well-being. I wonder - if media didn't exist - would something else take it's place as a vice for inactivity?

With sedentary activity prevalent today, being selective with nutrition and media both is important.

I wonder about physical activity being percieved as the first requirement before extracurricular technology pursuits being explored. I wonder because computer games take so long to finish (many take around 40 hrs), and pose the physical threats you bring up. At the same time a depth of knowledge and experience may be gained. Because of playing Civilization 3, one professor of mine was a relative expert in his high school history class on the Roman Empire, and Viking Crusades. I know of some high school gamer students who get straight A's, have mad programming skills, and thus bright career opportunities. Also, it's interesting that the military is actually a trend setter in using games and simulations to teach and train - learners who also must maintain physical health.

So there's an interesting conflict to me - how to balance physical health with the depth required of computer games? How can media and physical health co-exist?

Katie said...

You bring up excellent points Cblakes. It is certainly true that if media didn't exist there probably could be other things to take it's place. Reading for example is a sedentary activity.

That's interesting about Civilization 3 and the military.

I think as with everything, moderation is key.

Unknown said...

Didn't Michael address some of the ways the counter the negative influences of a sedimentary lifestyle in a recent episode of The Office. I felt that by sitting and listening to his counsel... I had done enough to combat fat butt disease.

cblakes said...

Thanks for the thoughts Katie. I was hoping that you would talk about the things you did!

Robbie,

What was I thinking? I totally forgot that The Office had talked about sedimentary lifestyles:)