Monday, April 28, 2008

Great Talk on Media, Society, & "Cognitive Surplus"




The speaker, Clay Shirky, argues (among many interesting ideas) that producing and sharing media content is good because "at least people are doing something." This is said in the context of the last 60 years of society primarily consuming T.V. and Film content. Is the practice of viewing shows really just a consumptive process? I think it depends - he uses Gilligan's Island as an example. I wonder how LOST or Jericho might make a case for cognitively demanding T.V.

Also, about the consumption metaphor. Watching media does seem a akin to the act of eating. I'm curious if the author of Katie's Cafe, who is a dietician, would say that consuming food is a mindless activity. I think that it can be, but that healthy, deliberate eating takes planning, and with reflection can be a cognitively challenging practice.

Also, he says World of Warcraft players are at least doing something (as opposed to consuming T.V.) Thoughts?

4 comments:

3703 said...

I pay very close attention to what goes into my mind as well as my body. On top of that I use the method of rational self interest to determine how much will be allowed.

For example, if I have a banana or a chocolate bar I will always choose the chocolate bar because much more human effort went into creating it.

So, much like a good movie, if I could watch a "G" or a critically acclaimed "R" I will choose the "R" because I know more effort went into making it.

Ian said...

I was wondering what to do with my cognitive surplus.

cblakes said...

rumbler: thanks for bringing a little philosophy into the conversation. No craft in G movies? It sounds like you've never seen The Ewok Adventure.

Ian - If you need more ideas meet me in the WoW Agamaggan realm tomorrow and we can chat.

Spencer Davis said...

cblakes- i'm guessing that the dianetics author of Katie's Cafe would say that eating becomes mindless when you eat while watching TV. Because then you concentrate on TV and not on your food, and then you overeat.

I would argue this point with Clay Shirky, when I share media content, all i do is find a video on YouTube, click and paste the embeded link to my blog. Then I'm done. How does that use up more of my cognitive surplus than going online, doing some research to decide what movie I want to see, driving to the movie, buying a ticket (and choosing which assigned seat I want if I by chase I'm seeing that movie at a Miller Megaplex), deciding which movie to sneak into for 15 minutes until my movie begins, and then watching my movie?

Riddle me that Clay.