Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Wife-o-Meter


Shigeru Miyamoto, the video game design living legend who made Donkey Kong, Mario Bros. and Zelda, gave a keynote last week at the Games Developer Conference. He used the symbol of a "wife-o-meter" to describe how successful his games are at winning approval from his wife. DK and Mario Bros. were low. But the Nintendo Wii console ranks very high on the wife-o-meter, he says, for social and family participation reasons.

I never really knew this before, and maybe it's because of Miyamoto, but Nintendo operates on a mission to make games that (cliche as it sounds) the whole family will enjoy. In a way this means their games have to be really good to keep different age groups interested.

We should all get a Wii to make our women happy!

3 comments:

Katie said...

Cblakes, I really like the idea of anything that is aimed to "keep wives happy!"

cblakes said...

Thanks, Katie, me too! I'll let Ian know you'd like a Wii.

3703 said...

I'm just looking for games that keep me happy. It would also be great to be able to meet the legend himself. I can only hope to touch the world like he has, through games such as Zelda and DK. Even though those games were very sucessful, they still scored way low on the wife-0-meter, which leads me to be very skeptical about the Nintendo Wii